[cvsnt] Re: How to Import module without modify the tag

Lehman, Curtis CLehman at carrieraccess.com
Fri Sep 30 23:40:56 BST 2005

>>Lehman, Curtis wrote:

>> On the other project, I haven't found away around the project. Again the
>> code is being exported from one project, this time a contract who is also
>> using CVS and the $id$, and me importing it into my project. They can't
use
>> the -kv option because they have hundreds of files, a good deal of which
are

>-k-v will work fine for this... stopping keyword expansion on a binary
>file is a no-op.

>The other way is just to rename $Id$ to something else on your system
>(or on their system).

>Tony

Thanks for the suggestions Tony. I am pushing the contractor to remove them.
I did try the different command lines you suggested and none of them worked.
(below is the details.) I am using 2.0.51d on client and server.

I just tried the command lines:

1. cvs -z3 -q update -k -v -d
2. cvs -z3 -q update -k-v -d
3. cvs -z3 -q update -kv -d
4. cvs -z3 -q update -k v -d

Items 3 and 4 did a keyword substitution, but converted binary files to text
and hence corrupted the binary files. Items 1 and 2 both got back:

C:\projects\flexengine>cvs -z3 -q update -k-v -d
cvs update: Unknown expansion option '-'.
cvs update: invalid RCS expansion flags
Valid flags are one of:
t       Text file (default)
b       Binary file (merges not allowed).
B       Binary file using binary deltas (merges not allowed).
u       Unicode (UCS-2) file with BOM.
{encoding}      Extended encoding type
Followed by any of:
c       Force reserved edit.
k       Substitute keyword.
v       Substiture value.
l       Generate lockers name.
L       Generate Unix line endings on checkout.
o       Don't change keywords.
z       Compress deltas within RCS files.
(Specify the --help global option for a list of other help options)

Am I using the wrong commands at the command line? Has this functionality
changed since the version I am using? (I am tentatively waiting for some
planned fixes in 2.6.01 to do an upgrade.)

Thanks,
Curt