[cvsnt] lockserver questions

Anderson, Allan aanderson at opentv.com
Wed Apr 5 17:40:20 BST 2006

Hello, folks. Thanks for answering my questions earlier on comparing CVSNT
to Subversion. I've got a couple of other questions, if you'd be so kind
once more:

I built the current release version of CVSNT on Solaris, using gcc (from the
blastwave.org archives.) I've had trouble setting up the lock server,
however. To test things out, I have followed the instructions here:
http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/InstallationLinux and put cvspserver in
inetd.conf, launching cvslockd by hand as root. I did cvs init to create the
repository, then copied over part of our current CVS archive.

I was able to check things out easily. I think this has created a
permissions problem, however, since when I try to check in a change from
TortoiseCVS I get an error about not having permission to alter a lock file.
I'm just running as a pserver (eventually, we want to set up Samba and
authenticate against the Windows domain, but for now I'm just working off of
the NIS users). I see during the check in that cvsnt is running as my user
-- is this the problem, that cvslockd is creating things that only root can
change? Can I solve it by changing the permissions in my cvs repository, or
by launching cvslockd in a different manner?

My second question relates to something I see on the march-hare website. It
mentions as a feature of the Professional package the ability to store
repositories on a SAN. My above tests are all on a local drive, but our IT
department wishes to store the source code repository on a SAN, or at least
on NFS. (Pardon me, I'm a little fuzzy on the specifics here.) I believe
they are using some sort of virtualization. Am I right that I would not be
able to store my CVSNT repository on a networked filesystem without
purchasing your folks (no doubt exemplary) Professional software and
support?

Thanks, folks.