[cvsnt] Re: patch code : tracking 3rd party sources

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sun Apr 9 23:57:31 BST 2006

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 17:43:52 -0400, douglass_davis at earthlink.net
wrote:

>So, i imported some 3rd party sources.
>
>however, the issue is now that the last release only consisted of
>"patches" to certain files, not an entire release. I did the import already.
>
>when i run checkout to do the merge, i get these type of notifications:
>
>cvs checkout: scheduling
>xoops/html/themes/xmt/navigation/theme_moduleadmin.html for removal
>
>this may be because not all files were in the "patch" code.  Is this the
>right way to import/merge when only given some of the files?  or is
>there a bettor way?  If I wasn't supposed to do that, is there a way to
>fix what i just did?

I don't know what is the best way to do here, but CVS import works in
a specific way to allow tracking of external sources:
- You initially import source files that supposedly are all needed
files. These go on the vendor branch.
- After a while you get a new set of *all needed files* and you do
another cvs import to the same vendor branch.
- Now cvs figures out which files have been modified since the last
import, these will get a revision bump. It also figures out which
files have been added and adds these to the vendor branch. And finally
it figures out which files have been removed in this release and cvs
removes them from the vendor branch.

I think that you are hit by this last effect when you are not
receiving a full file set to make the import from.

I don't use cvs import for external tracking myself so I can't say
what you should do. I just use it to initialize a new module easily
and then I use the CVSNT specific switches to not create the vendor
branch at all...

If you just put the new files into a sandbox of checked out files on
the vendor branch then you will handle the modified files, but you
have to manually add all new files and removed files are hard to spot
for manual removal...

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)