[cvsnt] Permissions Problem

bwhicks at aep.com bwhicks at aep.com
Tue Apr 11 14:21:27 BST 2006

I originally sent this email to the tortoise group, but it seems it may be
more appropriate here. I'll update the body with the current info. Plus,
The original message got stopped up because it was too big for the list, so
I'll send the trace in another email...

You can use CVS to put ACLs on the root of the repository. Like this:

cvs rchacl -a none -u meanies -m "Stay out, baddies!"

This will prevent people in the "meanies" group from importing new modules
into the root.

Now, in my particular setup, I have a module called "suites" that has
multiple projects under it. So the above meanies group may have write
access to "suites/meancode" but not "suites/goodcode".

Normally, I can cd to my checked out files into something like
"suites/meancode" and do a command like this:

cvs tag bad-6-6-6

and it will tag the whole "meancode" folder. But with tortoise, I noticed
that if I right click on the "meancode" folder in the explorer, the command
that pops up in the window is more like:

cvs tag bad-6-6-6 suites/meancode

which seems to grab permissions from the suites directory or the root (I'm
not sure which) and prevents the user from completing the action (it says
"Stay out, baddies!"). It seems like it should grab the perms from the
"meancode" directory, though, since it's only doing operations in there. If
I try it on the command line, using the same command used in tortoise, I
get the same problem.

I've done this with various clients, 2.5.02.2099, 2.5.02.2064 (tortoise
1.8.22), and 2.5.03.2260.

The server is 2.5.02.2099.

Thanks!

-Brian