[cvsnt] Re: AuthoR is always 'Guest' Why?

Glen Starrett glen.starrett at march-hare.com
Wed Apr 12 21:17:29 BST 2006

DukeCharlie wrote:
> Glen,
> thanks heaps for your reply. turning simple sharing (in folder's options)
> did not fix this problem. Actually I turned the welcome screen off and made
> XP Pro look like old NT, but that did not fix it either. Wiki recommends
> (strongly) to use sspi, sadly it seems this 'Guest' problem won't let me do
> that. I am using pserver now, even though Wiki does not like it. Any
> suggestions? I already spent 2 long nights learning this and I am doing it
> for my own pleasure. I must be crazy. By the way I may write a simple dialog
> box to set up these servers, any docs any help is very much appreciated.
> Thanks heaps again!
> Charlie.

You need to actually disable the guest account as well.  By default,
other clients coming in will use that if it's available.  Pserver is OK
if it's just you on your local LAN, but it is insecure if someone could
be potentially sniffing the wire.

FYI, March Hare has an eBook called "All About CVS" that documents a lot
of these kind of setup & operational issues.  It is included with CVS
Suite -- see http://march-hare.com/cvsnt/ for more information.

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett