[cvsnt] Re: Problems with case sensitive usernames using :SSPI: as authentication

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Sat Apr 15 01:14:34 BST 2006

Jelinek, Robert wrote:
> My situation:
>
> Server: Debian-Linux Clients: Windows (WinCVS with CVSNT)
> Authentication: SSPI
>
> If my users use SSPI as login method, the login information is taken
> from the login of Windows. Sometimes the users login with username,
> sometimes with Username, sometimes with USERNAME, sometimes with
> UserName, ...

This sounds like a Winbind issue - usernames on Unix are case sensitive,
therefore Winbind *must* check the case of users.  If it is using
Windows case rules for login then it is broken.

cvsnt is behaving correctly in this case.  It has no way of knowing that
Username is the same user as USERNAME because on Unix it is perfectly
valid to have both.