[cvsnt] Re: How to get rid of protocols

Glen Starrett glen.starrett at march-hare.com
Thu Apr 20 20:58:58 BST 2006

Gerhard Fiedler wrote:
> I'd like to have only the sspi protocol available to clients for access to
> files (and possibly the enum protocol) -- unless there is a reason to
> provide other protocols. So my first question is: Is there a reason to have
> other protocols available, if the intention is to only allow repository
> access through sspi? (May sound a bit silly, but then... you never know :)

It's a good idea to limit the protocols that can access your repository,
especially to the insecure pserver.

Note that another thread recently discussed that the plugins file (on
*nix) doesn't actually disable protocols, it just unlists them from
info.  Do actually disable it, you need to rename the protocol DLL (or
.so, etc. depending on the system).  That should get fixed in an
upcoming version.

> For example, there may be a reason to leave the enum "protocol" available.
> (I put protocol in quotes, because it is a protocol, but it doesn't seem to
> be a normal repository access protocol.)

My guess is enum is the one that allows response to the info queries.

--
Glen Starrett