[cvsnt] Unable to resolve merge conflicts

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Tue Aug 1 09:27:27 BST 2006

Tony Eva,

> That's a big difference from the way
> that CVS behaves,

See the manual for the reasons and the defined behaviour:
http://www.cvsnt.org/manual/html/Conflicts-example.html

> Yes, one could commit each resolved file
> individually but that takes away the
> capability of using the commit ID
> to find all files in a single commit.

Read up about change sets (bug id's) in the manual (cvs commit -B 1234) which are often much more useful that commit id's because they define a logical unit of work that can take place over multiple commits (over multiple days):
http://www.cvsnt.org/manual/html/commit.html

> I would really like at the very least to have
> the ability to reset the conflict status *before*
> committing.

I'm pretty sure "cvs update" does that.  If I have conflicts I always cvs update again before I commit (usually because on seeing conflicts I decide to leave the problem until I'm in the mood to resolve the conflicts).

Regards,

Arthur