[cvsnt] Unable to resolve merge conflicts

Tony Eva teva at Airspan.com
Tue Aug 1 14:35:39 BST 2006

Gerhard Fiedler wrote:
> Why is that "blech"?

It's been pointed out that a file may validly contain the conflict
marker text, in which case grep would flag it incorrectly.  Using
grep is IMHO an ugly workaround to a problem that shouldn't exist
in the first place -- but that's just my view.  YMMV.

> Maybe it's because I'm used to it, but I don't think that
> cvs(nt) has much of a chance of knowing when I resolved a
> conflict.

I meant that CVS(NT) "knows" in the sense that it will permit
a commit instead of blocking it.  If I edit a file after a
conflict, CVSNT (internally) changes its state from "not
committable" to "committable".  However, it is shown as having
"conflict" status in both cases.  (OTOH, CVS will change the status
from "conflict" to "modified" to show that the file is now allowed
to be committed.)

I assure you, CVS behaves the way I said it does :-)

> and you need to use some other method to keep track of those files.

I was considering what (for me) is the most common case, where
the conflicts are easily edited out, so I don't generally have
half-resolved files lying around.  On the occasions where the merges
are (apparently) successful but in fact have not been correctly
resolved by CVS(NT), then it's a much trickier scenario which can
take a while to debug.  But that's when pre- and post-merge tagging
is useful, which is good practice on any complicated merge anyway.

> Being able to run an update command that resets the conflict
> status seems to be a useful thing, though.

I'd be happy with just that one addition.  In the meantime I'll
live with the "blech" workarounds :-)