[cvsnt] Acl's Problems and Questions

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Wed Aug 2 00:55:19 BST 2006

Mark Johnson wrote:
> Can I create an acl to prohibit writes to all files in a directory except
> one, without specifying every file individuallly?

Probably.. it's not something I've tried though.  If you set a default read
only ACL on the directory and override it with a read/write on the file it
might work.

In general I discourage doing this - it's best to treat the contents of a
directory as a single unit, and protect only directories - the interactions
between files and directories aren't 100% obvious, plus it's just a much
simpler way of organising files... you don't have to worry about having to set
permissions when you add new ones.