[cvsnt] Recursive add (as opposed to import)

Nick Duane nickdu at msn.com
Sun Aug 13 20:24:16 BST 2006

I have an existing project I want to bring over from vss.  In reading over
the docs it appears that import is typically used for importing third party
sources, though I do see a -n switch which instructs import to not create
the vendor branch.  However, when I used that switch it still appeared to
set the revision on the files to a branch revision number (e.g. 1.1.1.1).
I'm trying to start out as cleanly as possible and was hoping for the files
to appear as if they were simply added to the modules.  Unfortunately cvs
add is not recursive and thus I would have to go through and manually add
the files from each directory.  I did a search and didn't see any existing
tool to get around this.  Is there a reason why cvs add does not support
recursion?  Should I be using import and not worry about the revision
numbers?

I ended up writing my own recursive add which got the job done.  In addition
my utility will optionally add the revision comment ($Log:$) to many files
types (.c, .cpp, .cs, .h, .idl, .rc, .def, .xml (all xml files)).

Thanks,
Nick