[cvsnt] Merging across several child (bugfix) branches

Vitaly Kouzin kouzin at infotecs.ru
Mon Aug 14 14:22:30 BST 2006

Hi all!

We have been using mergepoint-based merging for about a year, but now
we seem to run into a sort of problem when trying to maintain several
versions of our product.

Client/Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.5.03 (Scorpio)
Build 2382.

Consider the following scenario. We develop a project in the trunk.
When time comes to release version 1.0, we create a separate branch
for it, say b1, continue development in the trunk towards version 2.0,
and from time to time merge bug fixes from b1 to the trunk. Then to
release version 2.0, we create another branch, b2. Now we have to
support both 1.0 and 2.0, which means fixes made in b1 should be
applied to b2 as well.

This is where the problem arises: when I try to merge b1 into b2,
CVSNT merges changes not from the nearest [b1->trunk] mergepoint but
from the b1 branchpoint, which results in a lot of conflicts.

Is it possible to merge b2 to b1 using the correct mergepoints? And
more, what is the best strategy of propagating code changes across
different bugfix branches?

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

WBR,
Vitaly