[cvsnt] file corruption using CVSNT against non-CVSNT client

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Thu Aug 17 21:21:58 BST 2006

Paul Balmforth wrote:
>   - Set up a CVSNT server and a 1.11.17 client with :pserver: access.
> - Edit the CVSROOT/cvswrappers to include "*.zip -kb" or "*.zip -k 'b'"

This step is not necessary as it is default.

> - Import a large zip file as a new module, check out that module.
> - Zip file is corrupt; 0x0d characters converted to 0x0a

Tested and cvsnt is behaving correctly - the file is not corrupted and
is correctly stored as binary.  compatibility with cvs 1.11 is one of
those things that gets a lot of testing through various means and
breakage like that would have been noticed quickly.

Writing a cvs client from scratch is a nontrivial task - it's very hard
to get all the interaction right so that the server knows exactly what
to do... I would hesitate to do it myself and I've been working with the
protocol for 5 years.  There is nothing to be gained over simply
executing a standard client - either cvsnt or cvshome depending on the
platform - since it will take a long time to get a client that even has
the basic functionality that the existing clients have, let alone the
extended functionality that cvsnt clients have.