[cvsnt] file corruption using CVSNT against non-CVSNT

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Fri Aug 18 17:47:26 BST 2006

Paul Balmforth wrote:
> How does the client determine arguments to the 'Kopt' request at
> import time, before files have ever been checked out? It must parse
> and evaluate wrapper wildcards against filenames.

import -k, -W options, etc.  there are different ways of getting this
information - it's often a negotiation between the client and server.
In normal circumstances cvswrappers is send back and forth between
client and server and both sides merge each others' ideas of binary
files (with the client normally taking precedence).

> Since I'm developing a pure client rather than client/server in one,
> I'm acutely aware of responsibilities on clients which could be
> handled by the server. The whole idea of the 'Kopt' request seems
> somewhat flawed, because determination of the kopt can (or should)
> always be done by the server. I'm guessing that the decision to allow

Not my idea.. Kopt predates cvsnt by some years and is a standard part
of the protocol... it's not likely to change in the forseeable future.

> Having extended my client for the 'Kopt' request I'm performing two
> identical test runs of import and changing only one parameter - the
> argument to the 'Kopt' request. If passing 'Kopt b' everything works
> nicely, but 'Kopt -kb' leaves the file corrupted.

That's not possible - they're identical (in fact the server detects the
-k and skips over it).  I suspect something else in your environment is
changing. Kopt -kb is the normal way of sending it & is how cvsnt
clients send it.