[cvsnt] repository administrators?

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-cvsnt at yahoo.com.ar
Sat Aug 19 10:57:32 BST 2006

At Saturday 19/8/2006 05:45, Yongwei Wu wrote:

> > >The problem is when I use `cvs admin -m' to modify a
> > >log message, I got the error message:
> > >
> > >cvs [server aborted]: usage is restricted to repository administrators
> > >
> > >Have I done anything wrong,
> > Yes, you have used pserver instead of SSPI on a local WinXP machine.
> > SSPI is much simpler to use than pserver...
>
>I believe you must be right. However, everyone knows pserver, while
>sspi is something new in CVSNT, and *NOT* well documented. Even with
>your hint, I can only *kind of* make it work. And I still know little
>about it, even what the name stands for.

SSPI = Security Service Provider Interface = Microsoft's version of
the Generic Security Service API (GSSAPI), RFC 1508/1509.
It allows to authenticate a user, and acquire credentials for it.
Using SSPI, CVSNT delegates authentication to the operating system;
there is no need to manage users or passwords inside the program.
It's the recomended protocol on Windows and "just works" - no tweaks
and no special configuration must be done, what additional
documentation do you need?
On the other way, pserver is really insecure as the user password
goes transmitted in (almost) plain text.

> > To make a user an admin of CVS you have to add him to the
> > CVSROOT/admin file (just list his login username on a line in this
> > file).
> > The file does not exist by default so you have to create it. And it
> > should NOT be added to the CVSROOT/checkoutlist file either!
>
>I appreciate your help very much. However, it is a bug, either in
>documentation or in the software. In the CVSNT Manual accompanied with
>my CVSNT installation 2.5.03.2382, admin is not listed as an
>administrative file, and it is written:
>
>`On unix, if there is a group named cvsadmin, only members of that
>group can run cvs admin. This group should exist on the server, or any
>system running the non-client/server cvsnt. To disallow cvs admin for
>all users, create a group with no users in it. On NT, server
>administrators are able to use the admin command.'

In the same manual, read Chapter 3: Security
<http://www.cvsnt.org/manual/html/Security.html>, specially section
Repository administrators
<http://www.cvsnt.org/manual/html/Administrators.html>

Gabriel Genellina