[cvsnt] cvs rename bugs

Mark Levedahl noone at nospam.net
Sat Aug 26 14:34:22 BST 2006

Bo Berglund wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 22:48:42 -0400, Mark Levedahl <noone at nospam.net>
> wrote:
>
>> David Somers wrote:

>>> Hardly surprising since rename is experimental/unstable.
>>>
>>> Doing anything more complicated than an in-directory file rename is not
>>> recommended... using it for moves across directories is mad.
>>>
>> Then perhaps March-Hare should not claim that cvsnt has rename, much
>> less compare it to that of svn, etc?
>
> Do you really consider *moving* a file from one location to a
> completely different place as *renaming* the file???
> This is not what I consider a rename....
>
> HTH
>
> /Bo
> (Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)

This has little to do with what I consider to be anything, and
everything to do with what cvsnt has implemented AND documented.

The bugs I noted were inadvertently discovered by a user of a repository
I maintain, by using DOCUMENTED features of cvsnt. The manual certainly
does not indicate this is a dangerous operation, much less that you risk
corrupting a repository.

You can argue all day long about whether the semantics or features are
optimal or correct or even useful. Tony implemented what he did, giving
cvs rename (alias cvs mv) ostensibly the same capabilities as mv.

And, as I noted, the STABLE cvsnt release has bugs in this
implementation that can corrupt a repository.

I would think the last statement would cause pause: my belief is that
repository corrupting bugs should be fixed. Apparently, that is a very
strange viewpoint.

As Charlie Brown would say, "Good grief."