[cvsnt] Can History-File cause Performance issues?

Johannes Kilian Jo.Kilian at gmx.de
Thu Aug 31 10:40:54 BST 2006

Hi there,

running an 2.0.41 CVSNT Server I have serious performance problems.

I wonder whether a big "History"-file might be the reason?

We have set up several repositories on the same server - and the hugest history file is about 23MB (the history files in the other repositories are much smaller (approx. 2-3MB each).)

Now my questions:
1.) Can a history file of 23MB cause performance problems within the repository it belongs to?
2.) If there are several repositories on the same server: Can a huge history file in one repository influence the performance in the other repository?
3.) How can I "clean up" a history file? Which information will be lost, when renaming the current history file and start a new, empty one?

I think the version of CVSNT may not cause the performance problems, since we are running a second server with the same CVSNT-Version which don't have the problem ...

Any help welcome ...

Johannes