[cvsnt] Repository corruption

Flávio Etrusco flavio.etrusco at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 10:55:19 BST 2006

> I've updated to TortoiseCVS 1.8.26 just now. TortoiseCVS 1.8.26 seeminly
> comes with CVSNT 2.5.3.2260:
>         C:\Programme\TortoiseCVS>..\CVSNT\cvs.exe --version
>         Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.5.03 (Scorpio) Build 2260
> (client/server)
> (...)

Err, not sure I follow your logic here ;-)
This cvs.exe inside _CVSNT_ folder isn't most certainly installed by
TortoiseCVS...

> However, for :local: CVSROOT access TortoiseCVS seemingly comes
> with and uses a dedicated cvs.exe as of CVSNT 2.0.58d. For instance,
> when trying to
> view revision 1.1 of word.py from within the TortoiseCVS revision graph,
> this results in:
> (...)

Sure, TCVS uses this dedicated copy for all its operations.

> Should I possibly replace the cvs.exe within the TortoiseCVS directory with
> the one from the CVSNT directory? Or should I rather run the CVSNT server,
> and if so, which protocol would you recommend?

Simply rename the cvs.exe inside TortoiseCVS folder to something else.
Replacing the executable could/would cause DLL versions mismatches.

> PS: Is 512 bytes some magic number on the NTFS file system?

Not that I know of. That comment kind of puzzled me too ;-)
The only 512 "magic number" I can remember is hard disk sector size...

-Flavio