[cvsnt] Setting up and accessing repository on LAN drive by various local developers

ernhemreg at web.de ernhemreg at web.de
Thu Aug 31 16:05:34 BST 2006

Dear fellows,

I'd like to establish a repository on a local network drive [for system description see footnote].  In my first try importing modules to the net drive I used the CVSROOT :local:G:\CVS. Then the error message

cvs [log aborted]: Local access to network share not supported (Use -N to override this error).

came up. Neither the options nor in the online manual of the WinCVS-Client I found anything about activating this -N option by default via the GUI. So I decided to use the :fork:-protocol. I was able to import my modules error free into the repository placed on the net drive G:\.

Unfortunately, when checking out, updating or committing I get the following error statements (examples):

a) with fork-protocol:
>cvs -w -d :fork:G:\CVS checkout -P -- TTPowerPlant
cvs server: connect to 127.0.0.1(127.0.0.1):2402 failed: Es konnte keine Verbindung hergestellt werden, da der Zielcomputer die Verbindung verweigerte. (translated: unable to establish connection, target computer denies the connection)

b) with local-protocol:
I get the 1st above mentioned error message, that I should use -N command-option.

The error advice to use the -N command-option helps to solve the problem, that's good. But the bad thing is that I can only achieve it using the command line. I'd like (and all the others developers here in the LAN) like to use the WinCVS-client. So my question is:

How can do all the accessing command on the repository on the local network drive using the WinCVS-client, without having this mentioned problems?
or better: How to setup a running CVS on the LAN?

Thanks for your help
Michael

System description:
WinCVS Version 2.0.2.4 (Build 4)
CVSNT Version (Aug 19 2004)
Repository established on LAN drive
OS: WinXP Prof.
Python 2.4.3 (#69, Apr 11 2006, 15:32:42)