[cvsnt] CVS reported error: cannot rename file (Not AV problem)

news.cvsnt.org arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Tue Dec 5 02:38:16 GMT 2006

Michael / Andy,

>> On windows this is handled by the Windows API MoveFile() to
>> ensure that it happens as quickly and efficiently as possible.
>
> Unfortunately, in this case, "as possible" is neither very quick nor
> very efficient.

Yes - but it is as quick and efficient as is (reaonably) possible.

I see from the thread in microsoft.public.win32.programmer.kernel that their
ultimate solution was to simply keep retrying the operation.

> From the OP's description, there's a dreadful I/O bottleneck on this
> system, which would tend to aggravate the problem by increasing the

And that is what really needs to be fixed, a CVSNT server cannot afford
those sort of bottlenecks...

Regards,

Arthur