[cvsnt] Migration of CVS to CVSNT on Solaris

Richard Wirth richard at wirthware.de
Mon Dec 11 17:26:44 GMT 2006

Hello Phil,

CPCSc> As I've been discussing, I'm migrating an existing CVS instance over to
CPCSc> CVSNT, on Solaris, both will be on the same box, so I'm wondering if
CPCSc> there are any unseen gotchas I may hit.

When migrating to CVSNT the default locale ist <whatever>.utf-8. If
your old installation of cvs is on a different one, you should force
CVSNT to use this one by specifying it in /etc/cvsnt/PServer.
It is adviseable to use the 'RunAsUser' feature of CVSNT. This way you
can restrict write access to the rcs-files in the repository (users
are able to modify files only via the cvsnt-server, no direct access
to the filesystem). If you'd like to do so, don't forget to 'chmod'
your repository...

CPCSc> My plan is to install CVSNT on the box first, this way Devs using the
CPCSc> old CVSROOT shouldn't see any changes; their old clients pointing to
CPCSc> CVSROOT will still be valid.

CPCSc> After that I want to create a new repository and start moving groups
CPCSc> over one by one.

Why do you want to move the groups? Replacing the server is
sufficient. No new repository is required.

CPCSc> The issue I can now see is that I don't think I can
CPCSc> symlink the old CVSROOT to the new one to keep backward compat.  Is this
CPCSc> correct?  I'm all for just having Dev's change their CVSROOT once we've
CPCSc> moved them, but Project MGR wants to know if they can keep it, and I can
CPCSc> just symlink.  My test on my sandbox failed; couldn't even login.

Symlinks would break the cvslock-server. Don't do that!

CPCSc> Any other 'gotchas' that can be forseen in this situation?  I'm assuming
CPCSc> just 'mv -f' the files from the old CVSROOT to the new will work, and
CPCSc> then I can apply perms from there.

Do not move the repo. Just a backup for sanity should be enought.
CVSNT is backward compatible. Even if you use some of the extended
features, the old cvs will still accept the repo.

--
Best regards,
 Richard                            mailto:richard at wirthware.de