[cvsnt] Cvslockd won't run on

David Somers dsomers at omz13.com
Wed Dec 13 08:39:56 GMT 2006

Glen Starrett wrote:

> David Somers wrote:
>
> You have a permissions problem -- could not open the PServer file (or it
> isn't there -- did you copy over the PServer.example to PServer yet?).
> Make sure your service user can read the file.

Oops... didn't spot that (lack of caffeine in my system)....Phil, perms
problem?

>> FWIW, if you are getting zombie cvslockd processes and you can't upgrade
>> to a newer version of cvsnt, set up a cron job to pkill any cvslockd
>> processes every 24 hours or so.
>
> Are you having trouble with locked up lock daemons?  It shouldn't be a
> problem to let it run in the background as a service constantly.

IIRC there was a testing release that was a bit flakey... I can't remember
whether it was cvslockd or cvsnt that would become zombies when the app had
an error... it was fixed in later releases, but as a work around I just
pkill'd and stay processes every few hours.

>>> This is a big
>>> company I'm working for, and they just do not bend on many things, thus,
>>> the box is used by a ton of people, and it's a mess.
>>
>> Ah, the joys of working for a one of those corps.
>
> Yup, cost-cutting themselves to death.  Penny wise, pound foolish as the
> saying goes.

OT: Sod's Law says that company is still making loads of profit and getting
bigger and better in the market... for some reason, crappy companies never
seem to come unstuck.

--
David Somers
typographer/programmer/whatever