[cvsnt] cvs problem

Chris Allen chrisa at matrixscience.com
Thu Dec 21 13:40:58 GMT 2006

Hi Glen,

> Looks like (in that referenced post) you were telling CVS server to
> override -ko for all the files you were importing...  So it was doing
> what you asked it to do.

Except that the current GNU CVS behaviour is to never override "-kb";
from the manual:

<<In CVS version 1.12.2 and later, the keyword expansion mode provided
on the command line to any CVS command no longer overrides the `-kb'
keyword expansion mode setting for binary files, though it will still
override other default keyword expansion modes.>>

What I am trying to achieve is when importing third party source trees,
I would like all files to have "-ko" *except* binary files as specified
by cvswrappers.  In other words, provide a "default" value should there
be no cvswrapper entry for any given file.

This used to be possible with CVSNT, and still is in GNU CVS, but the
new CVSNT behaviour seems to make this impossible.  Unless you can
suggest a way?

> Better off to fix your cvswrappers file on the server and not use any
> overriding from the client to keep things consistent from everyone.
> Another way is with the -w SPEC param.  It will allow you to be additive
> to the wrappers, which I think is what you intended (but * will still
> get all files, so -w "* -ko" will cause 'o' to be added to all...).

I tried both "* -ko" and "* -k+o" with -W on the import command line and
in both cases it still marks every file including binaries as "-ko", and
hence silently corrupting them.

Regards,
Chris