[cvsnt] performance problems

bwhicks at aep.com bwhicks at aep.com
Wed Feb 1 16:31:38 GMT 2006

Hi,

I have cvsnt 2.5.02.2099 installed on linux (Redhat ES3.6). I have noticed
performance problems when using various clients.

On the same computer the server is running on (i.e. a local CVSROOT)
checkout of a particular module (around 23 megs check out of HEAD and
around 213 megs in RCS files on the server) takes less than 1 second. The
same module on a remote linux box (using either sspi or pserver) takes
around 40 seconds. The same module on a Windows (XP or Win2k) box (with or
without antivirus running, using sspi, and tortoise 1.8.22, which is cvsnt
2.5.02.2064) takes somewhere between 4 and 5 minutes.

Why is there such a disparity between these? Under some conditions (server
load?) the checkout on windows seemingly never completes. What could be
causing this slowdown?

Brian