[cvsnt] Trouble connecting to repository after network changes

Michael Wojcik Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com
Thu Feb 2 20:35:54 GMT 2006

F-Secure
> (one of the anti-virus makers).  It does include traffic
monitoring/blocking,
> web filtering, and a firewall.  I cannot tell if it is a hybrid or
not.

That's what I meant - does it include IDS ("traffic
monitoring/blocking") or firewall features.  It does, so it could be the
problem.  (Note that with some of these products it can be difficult to
actually disable them.)

> >Normally, I'd ask whether you've checked that the servers are running
> >and have you check netstat ...
> The results of netstat include a local and foreign address.  The local
> address includes a port, while the foreign has a port of 0 (most of
> the listening sockets appear that way).  Is this significant?

That's normal.  A listening socket is not bound to any remote address,
so the Windows netstat program shows it with a remote port of 0.

> For example (many others removed):
> Proto  Local Address          Foreign Address        State
> TCP    homeoffice:2401        homeoffice:0           LISTENING

It's mildly odd that netstat is showing the host portions of those
addresses as "homeoffice" - apparently you have an entry in your hosts
file that maps the name "homeoffice" to the address 0.0.0.0.  But that
shouldn't hurt anything.  (By the way, this is one reason why it's good
to use the -n flag when using netstat for debugging; the translation of
numerical addresses and ports into symbolic names can be deceptive.)

Something else to try: open a command window and type "telnet localhost
2401".  You should get a blank screen, indicating that you've connected
to the CVSNT server.  Hit enter and you should get an error message from
the server, followed by the connection closing.  If telnet fails to
connect or the conversation closes before you hit enter, that confirms
that there's a problem communicating with the server.

--
Michael Wojcik
Principal Software Systems Developer, Micro Focus