[cvsnt] Merging from branch does the wrong thing

John Hall john-news3 at cambridgetechgroup.com
Fri Feb 3 12:27:30 GMT 2006

Hi,

I merge quite frequently between branches, but today when merging from a
branch, I discovered a strange problem. The file in question has had no
commits on the branch since the branch was made at revision 1.77, but the
HEAD revision is now 1.84. When I try to merge from the branch to the trunk,
I get this:

> cvs up -A
> cvs up -j branch

retrieving revision 1.84
retrieving revision 1.77
Merging differences between 1.84 and 1.77 into Globals.bas

Investigating further, I've discovered that the files in question have all
had a commit reverted, e.g. in this case revision 1.85 was accidentally
committed, so the command:

> cvs up -j 1.85 -j 1.84 Globals.bas

was used to revert it. Revision 1.86 therefore has 1.84 as a mergepoint. It
seems to be this between the branch creation and branch merging that causes
the mis-merge from the branch.

My CVS versions are:
Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.5.01 (Travis) Build 1976
(client/server)
Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.5.03 (Scorpio) Build 2151
(client/server)

although I've also tried it with a 2.5.03 Build 2151 client and seen the
same behaviour.

Regards,
John