[cvsnt] Re: Exclusive editing and branches

Zsolt Branyiczky brazso at easymail.hu
Mon Feb 6 17:41:16 GMT 2006

Tony Hoyle wrote:
> It's not that simple.
>
> If you're using a 2.5.x client and server, then you can edit per-branch
> (in fact this is the default, and is what will happen normally).
>
> If you are using a cvshome or cygwin client or server then you *cannot*
> edit per-branch as they do not support this (also they won't honour
> exclusive edits unless you make the file -kx).
>
> It's quite possible scc2cvs uses its own cvshome client, so will not
> support this functionality.
>
> Tony

Hi Tony,

thanks for you comment. I also simulated the process manually in command
windows. The server-client is the same on the local machine, sspi
protocol is used to reach the repository.

In a work directory of HEAD (branch A) I used:
cvs edit -c dst_karjova_filter.sru
Afterwards the corresponding fileattr.xml of the server contains:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<fileattr>
   <directory>
     <acl>
       <create />
       <read />
       <tag />
       <write />
     </acl>
     <owner>lobog</owner>
   </directory>
   <file name="dst_karjova_filter.sru">
     <editor name="brazso">
       <hostname>branyiczky2z</hostname>
       <pathname>c:\Work\pulika_head\pb\pulika\karesemeny_jova</pathname>
       <tag>HEAD</tag>
       <time>Mon Feb  6 16:39:22 2006 GMT</time>
     </editor>
     <watcher name="brazso">
       <temp_commit />
       <temp_edit />
       <temp_unedit />
     </watcher>
   </file>
</fileattr>

But after another repeat of the previous command in a work directory of
b1_07 (branch B) the xml content became to:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<fileattr>
   <directory>
     <acl>
       <create />
       <read />
       <tag />
       <write />
     </acl>
     <owner>lobog</owner>
   </directory>
   <file name="dst_karjova_filter.sru">
     <editor name="brazso">
       <hostname>branyiczky2z</hostname>
       <pathname>c:\Work\pulika_bug\pb\pulika\karesemeny_jova</pathname>
       <tag>b1_07</tag>
       <time>Mon Feb  6 16:42:56 2006 GMT</time>
     </editor>
     <watcher name="brazso">
       <temp_commit />
       <temp_edit />
       <temp_unedit />
     </watcher>
   </file>
</fileattr>

The <editor> part with <tag>=HEAD has been disappeared from the xml, ie.
replaced by <tag>=b1_07. If I also add the -x to the edit command (I
think the interface uses this parameter), <exclusive /> tag appears
under the <file> tag, but it works with the same manner.

Now I tested with Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.5.01 (Travis)
Build 1976 (client/server), since the interface had been tested on this
version by its authors. But with the latest stable, I experienced the
same problem.

Regards
Brazso