[cvsnt] Re: Audit database selection

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Tue Feb 7 12:36:38 GMT 2006

Andy Southby wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Tony,
>
> I could always use MySQL for bugzilla and another for CVSNT.
>
> Talking specifically of CVSNT 2.5.03.x auditing and future 2.6.x.x use,  I
> see my choices as MSDE, SQLite and PostgreSQL. I will be catering for 50
> concurrent users and a potential repository growth of 10GB in the first year
> (using the current file system architecture).

I just added DB2 support in the last build.

> Are there any limitations of these databases that I should be considering?
> Is one easy to configure?

SQLite is extremely easy to setup, but doesn't handle concurrency as
well (only one writer to the database at a time AFAIK).

MSDE is also fairly easy, but has a 2GB limit (artificial limit -
SQLServer has no such issues.. if you have an MSDN sub you may well have
a copy around somewhere).

Not sure about postgres... it had issues with a dodgy installer for a
while and I need to go back to it if they've now fixed it (which I
believe was planned).

DB2 free edition has no limits apparently (easy to setup too).