[cvsnt] CVSNT Roadmap

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Wed Feb 8 00:25:05 GMT 2006

Tony and I had a very long chat last week about what the best deployment
of his time and effort is going to be for the next six months.

I mentioned in December that as a commercial sponsor March Hare have a
requirement for CVSNT to get support from the wider community including
the media.

In addition this year marks the 20th anniversary of the publication of
the CVS source code (on July 4th 1986) so we are hoping to have some
sort of "event" and marketing associated with that.

To facilitate this Tony and I have agreed to alter the release plans for
the next six months.  A new release: CVSNT 2.5.04 is now planned which
will focus on usability issues.

This will delay the introduction of CVSNT 3.1.  CVSNT 2.6.01 timeframe
to transition from UNSTABLE to STABLE may be affected, but we will try
to minimise this as much as possible.

Much of the Mac OS X work planned for CVSNT 2.6.03 has been put on hold
until we can hire a separate resource.  We do plan on releasing a "Fat
Binary" also known as a "Universal Binary" for Mac OS X - hopefully this
quarter, and each version of the CVSNT core will continue to be provided
for Mac OS X - but no new mac-specific features added until we can hire
a separate resource.

Tony hopes to have a testing build of CVSNT 2.6 available soon and once
that is available we will make more information available regarding
features planned for the 2.6.x series.

The initial testing release of CVSNT 2.6 will include the database
backend but no "new feature".  This will allow us (and you) to
concentrate on testing existing functionality has been successfully
ported to the new platform.

With a forthcoming web site upgrade I also plan to provide more detailed
information about future plans for CVSNT and a mechanism for you to
register interest in attending the "CVS 20th Birthday Party".

Tony, Udo, Carles, Mark, Steve and I appreciate your support of CVSNT -
and of course March Hare Software.

Regards,

Arthur Barrett