[cvsnt] Pserver authentication stopped working after upgrade...

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Wed Feb 8 15:33:31 GMT 2006

I upgraded our CVSNT server from 2.0.41a to 2.5.03.2221 a week or so
ago.

I had to configure the server default domain to be the actual domain we
have here. Otherwise my SSPI users could not receive emails etc since
they were now handled as DOMAIN\user instead of just user before.

Then the SSPI users could continue working just fine (and they got a new
client as well).

But we have a couple of users working from Sun Workstations and for them
the upgrade has broken their connectivity!

For them I had set up the system as follows:
1) I had created a *local* user "cvslocaluser" with all the permissiosn
needed on the repository
2) I had used the cvs passwd command to add these Sun users with a
password and an alias to "cvslocaluser" account.
3) Then they did a cvs login using the CVS that was available on Sun

All of this worked just fine before the upgrade of the server but now
when one of them needs to check out stuff he is no longer allowed
access...
And I cannot use pserver either from my own PC. :-(

This is a sample session from my own XP-Pro workstation:

cvs -d :pserver:bob at 3rappl01:/HW login
Logging in to :pserver:bob at 3rappl01:2401:/HW
CVS Password:
Fatal error, aborting.
cvs [login aborted]: cvslocaluser: no such user

Next I tried to create a new pserver user like this:
cvs passwd -r cvslocaluser -a olle
Adding user olle at 3rappl01
New Password:
Verify Password:
cvs [server aborted]: User 'cvslocaluser' is not a real user on the
system.

So there seems to be some problem locating this local user...

But when I go to the server and open Computer Management and the Local
Users folder I can see this local user just fine, so what is the
problem???

How can I work around this problem?

I tried by aliasing to another domain user cvs_setup, which we normally
use to build our setups.
Doing this got rid of the login problem, but insetad we get to the next
level problem:

cvs ls
cvs [server aborted]: cannot change permissions on temporary directory
D:\CVSTEMP/cvs-serv2612: Permission denied
cvs [ls aborted]: reading from server: error -1

Why is permission denied and for what?

The D:\CVSTEMP folder is *full control* for everyone and also for a
number of named user groups so ths displayed message is very confusing.

I even went as far as putting the DOMAIN\cvs_setup user into the local
Administrators group and then finally I could do the cvs ls command. But
this is no good, so what can I do???

Best regards,

Bo Berglund