[cvsnt] Pserver authentication stopped working after upgrade...

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Feb 8 22:48:57 GMT 2006

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 13:41:59 -0800, "Michael Wojcik"
<Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com> wrote:

>Well, it looks like you've confirmed that the CVS server is operating
>under the domain\cvs_setup account, anyway.  That's useful.
>
>When you checked the permissions for D:\CVSTEMP, did you use the
>Effective Permissions tab (Security -> Advanced -> Effective Permissions
>-> Select and enter "domain\cvs_setup") to verify that you were looking
>at the results for that user account, including all inherited
>permissions?

I don't have such a tab at all. On mine there are only 3 tabs in the
Advanced page:
Permissions, Auditing and Owner
The operating system is Windows 2000 Server

>If that looks OK, then I'd try the following:
>
>- Use runas to start a command prompt as the domain\cvs_setup user.
>(You may have to temporarily enable login for that user, etc.)
>
>- cd to d:\cvstemp and create a directory with md.

This is *it*!
After again removing cvs_setup from the Admin group I created a
"runas" command window and tried to do d: and was rewarded by a
"Access denied" message!

So it appears that the cvs_setup user is not even allowed to do
anything at all on the D: disk!

If I rightclick the D: disk in Windows Explorer and look at the
security tab I see a list that includes *only* the Administrators
group and nothing else at all!

No wonder that cvs_setup cannot access the D: drive.
But how can anyone of my developers work on this drive (which is the
data drive for the CVS repositories)? Seems strange to me. Everyone
but me should be blocked!

So now I added the domain\CVS_users group to the list and then I
checked that the permissions were only list/traverse/read.

Then I tried the runas window again for creation of dirs on D: and it
worked fine so I finally tested the cvs command from another PC using
the pserver login that failed before.
Hooray! Now this worked as expected!

So the problem was *above* the cvstemp dir, at the disk root!

Thanks for tipping me off on the runas command to check what the user
can and cannot do. This was a good troubleshooter thing!

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)