[cvsnt] Restriction top-level module creation

Rahul Bhargava coderobo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 01:42:34 GMT 2006

Tony Hoyle wrote:
> Rahul Bhargava wrote:
>> Being rude on a public mailing list is inappropriate.  Please be
>> constructive and stick
>> to technical arguments if needed.
>
> That isn't rude at all.  It's just responding to a completely
> incorrect reply.

Interesting. Using "WTF" is not treated as civilized in my part of the
world. Completely incorrect
is your personal opinion, please remember that. As Arthur indicated
"Finally the CVSNT list is not owned or controlled by March Hare
Software". So others can have opinions that do not agree with yours.
Lets stick to technical facts, do not take it personally, my friend :-) .

>> Here you don't want to set a default ACL on the root. That is the
>> whole point. If a user wants to
>> control what modules can be added on a cvsroot ahead of time (prior
>> to import) how can that
>> be done with whacl ? If you are going to suggest allow write access
>> on root, that is what the
>> WANdisco based solution tried to avoid.
>
> *of course* you want a default ACL on the root.  He wants to restrict
> the creation of new modules - there are two correct anwers - either
> set the ACLMode in the repository so the default is deny, or set an
> ACL in the root so that only administrators or specific users can
> write to it.

Ok so if the admin wants to set an ACL so that specific users or groups
can only create specific
modules on the root and not wily nilly  import arbitrary module how can
they do that  ?  In other
words the current CVSNT model is limited to coarse-grained ACL on entire
CVSROOT when importing
new modules. It can not allow fine grained restrictions on new module
creation. As an admin why
wouldn't I want the option of more fine grained control.  If you read
the emails closely
you would have discovered what was being conveyed was the above point.
If you get hassled that
this is being raised under the umbrella of this thread (imho very
relevant), we can launch another thread.

> That's what the OP was after and didn't realize that he could do it.
> You decided to turn it into an advertising oppoortunity.

That is your interpretation, the email was throwing more light on
possible solutions.

>> Hello! what's wrong with telling CVSNT users about other options in a
>> very specific context.
>
> Two thirds of your post were a blatant advert for a commercial
> product.  This is not allowed on this list.  You were *told* this the
> first time you did it.  You might have got away with a line or two,
> but you decided to make it the majority of your post.
My post was simply talking about a more sophisticated access control
mechanism than supported by CVSNT acl model that may not be interesting
to you but CVSNT users may find it useful.