[cvsnt] overwrite HEAD with a branch tip...

Michael Wojcik Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com
Tue Feb 21 18:30:57 GMT 2006

I downloaded the archives so I could scan them locally.  It's a bit of
up-front work, but then they're available locally for future searches.

>   I need to take a branch tip and overwrite the main trunk.  I don't
> want or care about any conflicts.  What is the best way to do this?

I'm not sure about what's best, but this should work:

	cvs update -A [file]
	cvs update -r[branch] -p [file] > [file]
	cvs commit [file]

(where "[file]" is the name of the file and "[branch]" is a branch or
revision identifier or tag).

update -A guarantees you're at the current head revision and have no
sticky tags.

Then update -p with the redirection overwrites the working file in your
sandbox with the tip of the branch that you want to use as the new tip
of the trunk.  (In some environments - eg POSIX shells with
file-clobbering disabled - you may have to delete the working file
first, or adjust the redirection syntax.)  -p avoids stickiness, so
after this operation your current revision is still from the trunk, as
far as CVS is concerned.

Then you commit the new version of the file, with the contents you took
from the branch, to the trunk.

--
Michael Wojcik
Principal Software Systems Developer, Micro Focus