[cvsnt] Re: "cvs update" avoiding files with local changes?

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Thu Feb 23 12:04:38 GMT 2006

Johan Holmberg wrote:

> Returning to my original question: my current understanding and
> conclusion is that no variant of "update" exists, that avoid updating
> conflicting files.

This is also my understanding.

> Maybe I should hack the CVS source :-)

Rather than hacking the cvsnt source, you may want to look into WinCvs and
its Python scripting support (if you and your guys work on Windows).
Support for that is in the support.cvsgui newsgroup on the same server.

Or alternatively use a shell (or other) script. The file date/time (UTC
timezone) for each file is stored in the Entries file in a hidden CVS
folder that exists in every sandbox folder. You can parse the list in the
Entries file and create a list of files to update. Any file that has a date
that's different from the date in Entries gets bumped from the list. (I
suggested WinCvs above because I think it has some built-in support for
this type of thing. In the cvsgui newsgroup are people who know more about
this than I do.)

Gerhard