[cvsnt] Re: "cvs update" avoiding files with local changes?

Rick Genter rgenter at silverlink.com
Thu Feb 23 14:21:07 GMT 2006

Behalf Of Trevor Leybourne
> Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 7:36 PM
> To: cvsnt at cvsnt.org cvsnt downloads at march-hare.com @CVSNT on Twitter CVSNT on Facebook
> Subject: RE: [cvsnt] Re: "cvs update" avoiding files with local
changes?

[snip]

> The concept is what Team System call a "Shelf", and the way it was
> explained to me is something like this and it makes a truck load of
> sense to me.
>
> * A developer checks out a repository into a sandbox.
> * Makes changes and the code is not ready to be committed, but for
> backup purposes the developer can "commit" the changes to the "shelf".
> It is stored in CVS, can be viewed in CVS but if someone else checks
out
> the module or project those changes are NOT included. The developer
can
> rollback to a previous "shelf" version if they want and can commit
more
> changes to the shelf.
> * At some point the "shelf" is committed as a normal committ.
>
> The other advantage to this is the shelf can be used as a "review"
check
> point. A developer commits his/her changes to the shelf and another
> developer or manager reviews the changes there before approving the
> changes to be committed to the main repository.

I do this using a regular branch. The "shelf" is simply a branch off of
whatever revision I'm working on; I use tags to mark where mergepoints
from where I last merged the "main" branch with the "shelf".

You can wrap all this in scripts to make it easy (today I use WinCVS
with nongnu.org CVS server, so I haven't automated the process yet).

Rick