[cvsnt] Re: 2.5.03 build 2252 testing

Glen Starrett glen at starretthome.net
Tue Feb 28 18:33:33 GMT 2006

Tony Hoyle wrote:
> Glen Starrett wrote:
>

>> I have a Samba DC with XP Pro members, would that help the testing?
>>
> Probably not...  It seems to be a local issue in the march hare setup
> and I need to know how widespread it is (so that I know how hard to dig
> to find out how to fix the config).  Win2000 won't let a Win2003 member
> query its database for user information (even very basic information
> like the user existence) - so impersonation via pserver can't ever work.

Did you try running the service as a domain user instead?  Win2000 (at
some SP level) changed the user DB to require a real user request to
prevent a particular type of worm attack that would get the list of
users then try to hack them.  It was doing massive brute-force attacks
at my former company, causing the auto-disable flag to get set every
night for several days... but I digress... *sigh*.

At any rate, that same symptom has the effect when you are logged in as
a local user and go to the security dialog looking for domain names, you
get prompted for domain credentials (any will due).

--
Glen Starrett