[cvsnt] Re: Best practices for shadow sandbox

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Tue Jan 3 12:59:51 GMT 2006

John J. Xenakis wrote:

> For the first pass, I'm assuming that "exactly what I need" is
> something similar to Visual SourceSafe.  I'll check out the PushOK
> product.

Remember that this is a client-side tool and you need one license per
client. Of course it'll help you only if you work with programs that use
the SCC API.

> I don't follow this.  There's a -kx option for "cvs edit" which
> guarantees exclusive use, but as you say, Tortoise doesn't appear to
> use it.  And there's the -kb option for "cvs add", which specifies
> binary.  Is that what you mean?

Yes. There are two ways: you can specify options in the cvswrappers (for
certain file extensions) -- with the disadvantage that this may be
overridden by client-side tools that use their own -k options --, and you
can specify them in the cvsrc file (for certain commands) -- with the
disadvantage that they then apply to all files.

Since you seem to want to use exclusive checkouts on Windows clients only,
maybe adding something like "add -kBc" to your cvsrc file gets you what you
want: all files added as exclusive checkout binary files.

Gerhard