[cvsnt] The shadow function seems not to work for virtual modules...

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri Jan 6 10:01:23 GMT 2006

I have now tested the shadow handling with a virtual module and it
does not work...

Here is my modules file definition:

Extrafile1 -d Common1 ModuleXX/Source source.txt
ExtraFile2 -d Common2 ModuleXX/TestFolder Testfile.txt
ModuleBB -d Kalle ModuleZZ/TestFolder3
ModuleBBext &ModuleBB &ExtraFile1 &ExtraFile2

And here is my shadow file definition:
ModuleBBext HEAD C:/DATA/USERS/CVSNT/ModuleBBext

I have checked out ModuleBBext and then I edited one of the files in
subdir Kalle and committed. But no shadow module was created... :-(

When I did a closer investigation by looking in the CVSMailer log I
found this:
20060106 10:51:18 DEBUG: Parameter 3: /korvkiosk
20060106 10:51:18 DEBUG: Parameter 5: ModuleZZ/TestFolder3
ATestFile.txt,1.2,1.3

So the commit operations on the server did not mention the virtual
module name at all and this means that there is no match for shadow to
work off.

Conclusion:
You cannot maintain a *virtual* module using the shadow file!

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)