[cvsnt] pserver authorization problems

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sat Jan 7 16:27:20 GMT 2006

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 08:26:29 -0700, "David Jackman"
<David.Jackman at fastsearch.com> wrote:

>I started playing around with the CVSNT server settings and found that
>if I change the "Run as user" setting from "(client user)" to a named
>user account on that server machine (doesn't seem to matter which user I
>use), then pserver works for all users.

I would not do this at all, because it limits the ability for you to
sett access priviliges inside the repository using the NTFS file
permissions for users and groups. For pserver this might be OK but for
SSPI it is definitely not and the setting is server global!

When you use pserver (or better sserver) you should really alias all
cvs logins to some special account. This way the users do not need to
expose their domain passwords to the insecure pserver transfer
mechanism at all.
Their CVS login is then valid ONLY for CVS and it is a much more
secure system.

See here for advice on how to do this:
http://web.telia.com/~u86216177/InstallCVSNT25.html#PserverUsers

/Bo