[cvsnt] Re: Repository auditing with Oracle

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Tue Jan 10 12:45:03 GMT 2006

Paulo Soares wrote:

> Oracle does that with sequences. I have code where I get the next
> sequence number and use that number as key for several tables. You are
> right that it's virtually impossible to have common queries even if they
> all speak SQL; what I don't understand is the reasoning you make that
> the only way to do this is with a DB that supports some kind of
> auto-increment leaving Oracle outside of the equation as if Oracle is
> some kind of an obscure DB. I'm not really complaining (perhaps just a
> bit...), it's not critical for me and as far as CVS goes I've yet to see
> any program this good.

The db interface does allow for the possiblity (the autoincrement
dependency isn't really there at the higher levels)... it's just a
little harder that's all since it needs to modify the insert statement.
  There was always a plan to support oracle at some point (in the
2.6/3.0 timeframe) so I'd have had to deal with it... it's just the only
one that makes it so hard :)

It could be worse - I once worked on some software that created
individual databases for saved datasets (was designed on Gupta years ago
that used a file per database).  Someone suggested converting that to
oracle...