[cvsnt] Re: HELP!!! CVS PROD

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri Jan 13 21:40:25 GMT 2006

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 14:16:20 -0600, "McCarter, Stacy"
<Stacy.McCarter at dor.mo.gov> wrote:

>HELP!! I had my nt cvs server crash, and had to re-build the server, and i
>restored all of the code from tape backup. However, when i did no one is now
>able to use their code, as all the files have a ,v extension. Can someone
>tell me convert it back w/o the v extension?

Stacy,
I have now looked at the files you sent me (and the list, but that
post was not accepted since it conmtained large attachments).

Anyway what I saw confirmed what I suspected:

Those files taken from the repository are indeed named file.ext,v,v
all of them. This indicates that you have retrieved the original
repository files from a backup and then you have *ERRONEOUSLY*
imported them into the newly built CVS server!!!

This is *awfully wrong*!!

What you should do is this (and I outlined this already for you):

1) Get the repository files from the backup and store them into a
folder hierarchy as they were organized from the beginning.

2) In the CVSNT control panel go to the "Repository configuration" tab
and click the Add button.

3) Now navigate to the folder into which you restored the files from
the backup and select it. Click OK.

4) Now change the "Name" property by removing the path before the
final /. I principle you should set the Name value to *exactly* the
same string as was used previously by your developers for the
repository when checking out files. Note that I am saying "repository"
and NOT "module" here!

5) Once this is done you are ready to start checking out files from
your new respository.

I have done the following to verify that the files you sent me are OK:

A) Copied the files (name.ext,v,v) into a new folder on my CVSNT
server repository.

B) Checked out the module defined by this folder name (STACY) while
setting the switch for forcing UNIX style linefeeds.
  cvs -d :sspi:server:/repo co -kL STACY

C) The files thus checked out are now named name.ext,v and are the RCS
files you really should have in the repository.
So I created a new folder in my repository structure (STACY2) and
copied these checked out files there.

D) Now I did another checkout, this time a normal one without forcing
the Unix line endings:
  cvs -d :sspi:server:/repo co STACY2

E) These files turn out to be good files with normal file endings and
revisions that match what to expect. In WinCvs it is now possible to
do graph views of these files as well.
For example Form1.frm was first entered into the repository on March
8, 2005 by mccars. It then has received no less than 98 revisions, the
last one by huttod on Dec 29th 2005. Etc.

Note that by examining the log of the files checked out in step B)
above I can see the following:
Revision : 1.1.1.1