[cvsnt] Re: Problems with CVS History

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Sun Jan 15 13:11:49 GMT 2006

Tarek M. Nabil wrote:
> Thanks a lot for your help. I checked out the audit plugin, but it seems to
> be a commercial plugin. Do you know of any free alternatives?

Audit is part of the GPL product.

> I must say that I didn't completely understand the second paragraph. All I
> really want is to be able to find out the names of all the files that
> changed since a certain tag. That used to be a one minute job with VSS, I
> can't imagine why it should be that difficult with such a mature product as
> CVS.

You said you wanted the history of tags w/dates.. you need auditing for
that.

Finding what has changed since a tag is just:

cvs -q rdiff -r first_tag -r second_tag module

To just get the list of files:

cvs -q rlog -SR -rfirst_tag::second_tag

(note no space after the r... an anachonism inherited from the old cvs
that's difficult to change now).