[cvsnt] managing development/testing/release process

Mark Johnson amarkjohnson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 16:13:37 GMT 2006

On 1/16/06, Arthur Barrett <arthur.barrett at march-hare.com> wrote:
> Mark,
>
> The recommendations of the developers of CVSNT for QA process, including
> change sets and promotion are a part of the eBook:
> http://march-hare.com/cvsnt/features/book/

I have considered this, but spending $150 on a book seems like a lot.
I understand the $150 is for the suite, which includes the book, but
my dilema is this:  We are using cvsnt/wincvs/tortoiseCVS, but
probably not the versions included in the CVS suite.  I know that I
cannot, at this point, purchase the suite for each developer on my
team, so I am not sure to what extent I could actually use the suite.
(current tools: cvsnt server- 2.5.02 (Servalan) Build 2088, cvsnt
client-2.5.02 (Servalan) Build 2064, WinCvs-2.0.2.4 (build 4),
TortoiseCVS 1.8.21).  What versions are used in the suite?  Could I
use it on one workstation, against the above listed server, while
others are using the above listed client?  Is there value to be had
from that?   I am interetsted in the book.

> CVSNT has change sets (bug numbers) that are ideal for grouping changes
> together and linking changes to jobs/defects.

I know the supported defect tracking software is bugzilla, but have
you ever integrated CVSNT with DevTrack?

> Finally, I strongly recommend that you design your CM process in a
> non-tool centric fashion.   The old saying goes "when you have a hammer
> everything looks like a nail".  Design your CM process (business
> focused) and then ask "what tools can implement this process", or "how
> would I implement this process in CVSNT"?

I completely agree as long as the available tool set is kept in mind.
It should definitely not drive the process, but If I design a perfect
process, which entails acquiring a specific tool which I know my
company will not allow, it does me no good.

Mark