[cvsnt] Re: Backup a live repository

Glen Starrett glen at starretthome.net
Wed Jan 18 04:35:02 GMT 2006

Gerhard Fiedler wrote:
> I just got wondering -- do you guys have experiences with or thoughts about
> backing up a repository without shutting down the service?
>
> For example, there is the shadow copy service of WinXP/2003, and there are
> imaging applications like Ghost and TrueImage that can image live file
> systems. Does this work?

AFAIK the only risk to backing up a live repository is that you might
happen to catch it in the middle of an update, in which case you'd have
half the files in one state and the other half in the previous state.
File locking shouldn't be a problem with this setup (beyond a simple
retry on any commits that are trying to update a file currently being
backed up).

The main reason to shut down the CVS service before backing up is to
ensure a pristine 'snapshot' of the repository and prevent any temporary
locking contention, but all in all it should run just fine.

I can't comment on the Ghost or TrueImage tools since I've never tried
them in that context.

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett