[cvsnt] Re: How to compile cvsnt - again unable to....

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Sat Jan 21 12:34:56 GMT 2006

Bo Berglund wrote:

> I don't know how to "disable" howl, it seems that VC++ wants to use it
> for some reason. How do you "disable" sourcecode in VS 2003???

You can just change it in the config.h in cvsapi, then tell that project
(mdns_howl) not to build.

> Concerning cvsdeps, it is not a subdir to cvsnt, but when I use WinCvs
> to checkout cvsnt and make it list what is available I find a cvsdeps
> module to the *side* of cvsnt, is this also needed?

It's what I use rather than downloading everything each time.... it also
has the (incomplete) 32/64bit dependencies for vs2005 (for 2.6.x, but if
someone was mad enough I guess they could try building 2.5.x with it).

> Well the SDK I have installed now is the "Platform SDK for Windows
> Server 2003SP1 April 2005 Edition" from my MSDN DVD dated December
> 2005. I have not received any later DVD:s from Microsoft yet...

I'm using September, buy december should work - you did run the visual
studio registration tool after install I presume?

> Concerning the SDK: After installing the SDK, what am I supposed to
> do? I figured that I should add it to the directories used by VC++ in
> a similar way as the old VC6 system used. So I added the SDK Include
> and Lib folders to the directory list in VC++. Is there any particular
> order they should be in?

You shouldn't need to modify anything for the SDK.

My standard include paths are (this is more than cvsnt needs but I can't
remember offhand which are just for other stuff):

d:\cvsdeps\bonjour\include
d:\cvsdeps\howl\include
d:\cvsdeps\iconv\include
d:\cvsdeps\infozip
d:\cvsdeps\infozip\c-headers
d:\cvsdeps\openssl\include
d:\cvsdeps\postgres\include
d:\cvsdeps\sqlite\include
d:\cvsdeps\u3 sdk\dapi

and for libs,

d:\cvsdeps\bonjour\lib
d:\cvsdeps\howl\lib
d:\cvsdeps\iconv\lib
d:\cvsdeps\infozip
d:\cvsdeps\openssl\lib
d:\cvsdeps\postgres\lib
d:\cvsdeps\sqllite\lib
d:\cvsdeps\u3 sdk\dapi

> But then again, the directories set by this configuration seems to be
> *global* in VS 2003, how can one set *project specific* directory
> search paths???

In each project there is an option for extra include directories.  It's
not usual to set these since they get stored with the project file, and
the external dependencies pretty much depend on where you've put them.

Global include files are per-platform (which is pretty much just win32
if you're running a standard vs2003).

There's no solution level include directories, since a solution is just
a container (pretty much all you can set is what projects get built for
each build configuration).

> But of course I (as well as Oliver) am not using VS 2003 daily so we
> are you might say novices in navigating the VS IDE...

It's a pain to setup, but once it's working is quite nice.

OTOH I'm not convinced vs2005 is an improvement yet (some of its
'enhanced' features eg. profiling don't yet work, and it has an annoying
tendency to fall over when you least expect it.  Oh, and MS have
unilaterally deprecated most of the standard C library and half the STL..).