[cvsnt] Re: rename function

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Mon Jan 23 20:29:18 GMT 2006

davies andrew wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Could someone explain exactly what happens when the CVS rename command
> is used?  I am just trying to unpick a problem where a file was renamed
> but possibly not committed back to the repository.  CVS seems to be a
> bit confused now as a result of this tom foolery and I just want to help
> it out!

If the rename isn't committed the server never sees it - there will be a
CVS/Renames file on the client.

If it is committed it's stored in .directory_history,v (which you can
just delete if you don't want to keep any renames in that directory).

2.5.x Rename can be a bit fiddly... sometimes takes a couple of updates
etc. to get right, but it does work (I've imported a *lot* of rename
data into 2.6.x and it was all correct.. it's just the 2.5 client
doesn't use it correctly :P)