[cvsnt] Dead cvs.exe processes

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Mon Jan 23 23:53:21 GMT 2006

David Jackman wrote:
> The CVS server is running Symantec AV, and I can't remove it (our
> company IT policies forces this).  I am also running CruiseControl on
> our build machine.  I thought it was configured correctly--what should I
> look out for?

Check how often it's checking out and building, and how many processes
it's starting to do that.  By default CC always checks out the entire
repository - which is a slow operation - rather than just updating the
files that have changed since the last build.  In a large repository
it's going to take a few minutes to do that.. so if you have a checkout
taking 5 minutes and CC set to fire every 2 minutes.... boom.

If you can, set it to only do updates of the files that have changed
(cvsnt can do this but I don't know if CC can use already checked out
sandboxes).  Failing that, slow the rebuild cycle down so there's
breathing space... depends on your load patterns how much you need really.

btw. tagging is quite slow, so if CC is doing a tag before build you
have to take that into account in your calculations (this will hopefully
be fixed early in the 2.6 cycle, but that doesn't help you now of course).