[cvsnt] Re: Size limits.

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Tue Jan 24 18:17:51 GMT 2006

kerry richard wrote:
  > Would I be right in assuming that there is no limit on the number of
> files in any repository, apart from any restriction in posed by
> Windows ? Is there a size limit on any individual RCS file ?  Or can
> that increase until the disk is full ?  Yes this is unlikely to
> occur, especially with source code files, but the system will also
> hold binary files, for documents and executables, and in that case
> the increase in file-size per revision will be bigger than for the
> text files, even if they use binary differences, and we just want to
> be sure whether there's a known size limit.

There are no fixed size limits... you could (theoretically) even go over
4GB on an RCS file but I've never actually tested one that big.  The
limit is memory (it's relatively efficient but you need to be able to
hold 2-3 revisions of the largest file in memory), disk throughput and
CPU (number of simultaneous clients).