[cvsnt] Re: Strange behaviour when use commit whith '-e' option(Keep edited files)

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Thu Jan 26 14:30:53 GMT 2006

Bo Berglund wrote:

> TH> Yes.  Unedit rolls back to the last edit.
>
> But is it correct?
>
> IMHO This makes commit option '-e' useless. Look. It is a real
> situation when i do a serial of changes and after that "release" file
> (notify other developers that i don't edit that file anymore). So i
> have done many commits, but system persist that i lose my changes. And
> more it revert my changes back (not in a repository but in a sandbox).

Whether this is "correct" depends on what you define to be "correct" :)

The thing is that different systems define this differently. VSS for
example resets the revision that's stored for the unedit when you do its
"commit and leave edited" equivalent, whereas cvsnt doesn't touch the
backed up unedit revision.

I'm not sure what application scenario the "commit -e" option is intended
to address; so far, I can't remember one being described -- while there are
some valid uses for a command compatible to the sequence

  cvs commit <module list>
  cvs edit <module list>

which is different from "commit -e".

Gerhard