[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT + Web Application Implementation

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu Jan 26 23:34:40 GMT 2006

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 09:27:40 +1100, "Brian Post" <bpost at 80-20.com>
wrote:

>"Bo Berglund" <bo.berglund at telia.com> wrote in message
>news:6ljft15jqtvq86o56qite0qa17c3kbldru at 4ax.com...
>> On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 10:28:22 -0800, Sanjay.Uttam at VerizonWireless.com
>> wrote:
>>
>> No, they are never prompted for a password if you use SSPI! This
>> protocl uses the Windows login as the user to authenticate.
>
>As of cvsnt-2.5.03.(Scorpio) Build 2151 in my experience, CVSROOT requires
>password for SSPPI or at lease requires an initial login. If this was fixed
>in a later release please let me know. Previous version CVSNT 2.5.02
>(Servalan) Build 2088 with exact same setup didn't require the password.
>
>Following is what I needed to change my CVSROOT to.
>CVSROOT=:sspi:domain\username:password at MelDmeCVSXP:2401/Doc95

This is not the SSPI usage I imagined.... My view of the SSPI root is
this:
CVSROOT=:sspi:server:/Repo

This format will reuse the Windows logon information to acces the
CVSNT server.

If your local user is not acceptedf on the server then what you should
have done is:
CVSROOT=:sspi:user at server:/repo
(You should NEVER EVER!!!!! embed your *password* into the CVSROOT
string!!!! It will be saved in the clear in the control files in the
CVS subdirs! And it serves no purpose explicitly spelling out port
2401 either since that is the default one used when nothing is entered
here.

After you have set the CVSROOT as follows

CVSROOT=:sspi:domain\username at MelDmeCVSXP:/Doc95

you execute (ONCE ONLY!) the command "cvs login" and enter the proper
password. If you are accepted then the password is securely stored for
future use in encrypted form in your HKCU part of the registry.

>Where
>    domain = 80-20
>    username = bpost
>    password = passsword for 80-20 domain
>    MelDmeCVSXP is connected to our coporate 80-20 domain.
>    My machine is connected to another domain DmeRnD.com which is our 3 tier
>development domain controllers. I.E DmeRnD.com, Palace.DmeRnD.com &
>Noah.DmeRnD.com

When you are dealing with cross-doamin use then it is important that
the involved servers have trust relations set up between them.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)